MakeDocW Utility for Win95/NT Version 0.71
This program is intended to to prepare electronics documents for use with the AportisDoc Software, which allows you to read electronic books and other documents on your PalmPilot.
A brief note on support for MakeDocW
Download the MakeDoc for Windows Utility (PKZipped: 189,433 bytes).
Download the MakeDocW ReadMe file (ASCII: 5,446 bytes).
This program also requires MSVCRT.DLL and OLEPRO32.DLL- if you don't already have these Microsoft support DLLs on your PC, you can download them here.
Download the MS Visual C++ support DLLs (PKZipped: 172,099 bytes).
MakeDocW is free for you to use and distribute, but is nonetheless subject to copyright:
Copyright 1996,1997 Mark Pierce
Compression and .PRC Packing code is Copyright 1996 Pat Beirne
All Rights Reserved
MakeDocW provides a convenient way for Windows 95/NT4 users to format text and HTML documents for use with the Pilot Doc application.
The main features of MakeDocW 0.7 include:
- Windows 95/NT4 user interface, based on common tab control
- Flexible treatment of line-break characters
- Optional splitting of a single large document into multiple sections, which allows you to download parts of a document selectively (when they are too big to all fit on your Pilot at once)
- Optional 2:1 compression of text, using Pat Beirne's DOS MakeDoc compression algorithm
- Optional removal of HTML tags, and substition of HTML character entities
- Support for Pilot document categories
- Optional automatic installation of converted documents (on next HotSync), with the removal of intermediate .PRC files if desired.
- Selection of multiple files for conversion when using the "Browse" dialog
- Automatic operation via the "Send To" pop-up menu, with multiple-file support
MakeDocW is quite well-tested now, but there may still be some bugs. If you have difficulties, or want to make suggestions or comments, please mail me and I will do my best to provide support and fixes as required. Please note that other work commitments sometimes stop me making immediate changes to MakeDocW, but your comments are never ignored.
- V 0.71 - 17th Mar 97
Implemented Auto-Install support for Pilot DeskTop 2.0
- V 0.7 - 12th Mar 97
Fixed problem with long filenames when Send-To is used
Make the program close down after conversion, if started via Send-To
Fixed problems with HTML character-entity translation
Added support for document categories
Improved window sizing under hi-res graphics modes
- V 0.61 - 1st Feb 97
Supports "Send-To" of multiple files
- V 0.6 - 31st Jan 97
Allows selection of multiple text files for conversion/installation
Added option for removal of intermediate .PRC files when auto-installing
Reverted to SDI Interface, but with tabs
- V 0.5 - 03rd Dec 96
(Internal Beta Release)
Introduced tabbed user-interface in an MDI window
Incorporated Auto-Install option for converted files
- V 0.4 - 12th Nov 96
Fixed appending of chapter number to title when splitting disabled.
Allowed Pilot output file to be changed via .INI file (eg [Settings] PilotExtn=PDB).
- V 0.3 - 9th Nov 96
Fixed dialog tab orders
Put some error checking on Min & Max Chapter parameters
Min chapter must be >= 4 (this is _not_ a minimum limit on document size, though)
Moved Line-Break parameters to their own dialog
Added CR <--> LF translation options
Changed .INI file name from CRX to MAKEDOCW (most parameter names are unchanged)
Included "None" option for CR/LF stripping
Added HTML removal option
Added simple filters to the file browse dialog
Implemented simple chapter tag support
- V 0.2 - 6th Nov 96
Implemented end-of-section detection for double-quotes, and allowed ! and ? as sentence terminators.
Fixed an occasional lost character soon after section split-point.
Implemented smarter detection of paragraph ends, with end-of-sentence detection.
- V 0.1 - 6th Nov 96
Initial Beta Release